YAY! It’s time for another Go Dairy Free recipe contest! I look forward to these contests so much that my mind runs with dairy-free recipe ideas all year long! This time the contest theme is dairy-free snacks. Woohoo! As a mom of 5 kids, snacks (especially sweet snacks) is kinda my thing.
When I first started creating dairy-free recipes it seemed overwhelming. No butter, milk, yogurt, cheese. Ugh! But, So Delicious products make dairy-free eating SO easy and truly SO delicious that I don’t even feel like I’m missing out. One of my favorite discoveries was So Delicious Dairy-Free Almond Milk Frozen Dessert (ice cream). Yummo! I knew right away that I wanted to use a frozen product for this contest, and I knew I wanted to make something so fun and delicious that my kids would go crazy for it. Hence…the Ice Cream Cupcake was born.
I hope you and your gang enjoy this frozen treat as much as we did!
Dairy Free Cherry Almond Ice Cream Cupcakes in Dark Chocolate Cups
1 quart So Delicious Dairy-Free Vanilla Almond Milk Frozen Dessert, softened
1 cup frozen or fresh dark cherries, cut in half plus 6 whole cherries for garnish
1/4 cup sliced almonds
1 cup dark chocolate chips (I used Ghirardelli)
1 teaspoon coconut oil
1. Place 6 cupcake liners in a standard cupcake pan. Set aside.
2. Place ice cream in a medium bowl. Fold in 1 cup cherry halves.
3. Scoop ice cream into prepared cupcake pan, dividing evenly among the 6 lined cups. Use a spoon to press ice cream into liners.
4. Sprinkle almonds on top of ice cream and place in freezer for at least one hour.
5. Remove from freezer and peel off cupcake liners. Place cupcakes on a small foil or parchment paper lined baking sheet and put back in freezer while preparing chocolate.
6. Place chocolate and coconut oil in small microwavable bowl. Heat at 30 second intervals, stirring often, until chocolate is smooth. Dip bottoms of cupcakes into the chocolate. Place upside down on baking sheet. and put back into the freezer until chocolate is set.
7. Serve with a cherry on top. Enjoy!
Notes: Cupcakes may need to sit at room temperature for a few minutes before removing the liners.